NATIONWIDE – Full or Part Time
Protocol are seeking an Optical Lab Technician, Glazing Specialist, Spectacle Maker or other Optical Manufacturing specialist to assess apprentices undertaking their final assessments. The position will involve regularly travelling nationwide and observing apprentices in their workplace to evaluate their skills.
Working on behalf of another leading EPAO, we are looking for high level experts in their field of work within the Spectacle Making field, with an assessor’s qualification such as CAVA or A1, to assess apprentices on this Level 3 qualification.
A Spectacle Maker is anyone who uses their skills and labour for the production and repair of finished, quality assured spectacles with a wide range of prescriptions, coatings and finishes, frame types and styles. They will be using a range of materials for frames, lenses and optical manufacturing and repair tools and equipment. They may be working within a small glazing workshop or in a larger manufacturing environment.
Independent Assessment ensures apprentices have the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours detailed in the Standard, which outlines the Core Competencies of the role. End-point Assessors will undertake the final assessment of the learners, using different methods to check that apprentices meet these requirements. They will usually travel to apprentices’ workplaces to complete observations and professional discussions and will spend between a few hours and a full day with each learner.
This role will involve nationwide travel and this role can be worked as a full or part time position.
- Undertaking the final assessment of an apprentice on the Spectacle Maker Standard to ensure they are fully competent for the role
- Assess without prejudice or bias in a fair and honest way
- Work with internal quality systems that ensure consistency, fairness and reliability of performance and evidence collection
- Provide constructive feedback and ensure assessment reports are high quality and recorded accurately
- Maintain occupational and assessment skills and experience
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Recent occupational experience in the Spectacle Making sector from the past 12 months
- Level 3 qualification within the field of Spectacle Making
- Flexibility to travel around the UK
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Experience of producing clear, accurate and concise written reports in a number of formats; giving both results and constructive feedback and support.
- IT proficient, including the use of web conferencing software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills; ability to effectively prioritise.
- Able to work independently but also lead a team, if required.
- Flexibility to travel across the UK.
- Willingness to agree to overnight stays away from home, if required.
- An assessor’s qualification (ie: CAVA, A1, D32/33)
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The legal bit
Protocol promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with Protocol. An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Protocol assignments. All positions advertised by Protocol comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we might not be able to respond to every candidate with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.