Protocol is delighted to be working with an education provider in the Greater Manchester area in the recruitment to the position of Head of Finance.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, you will be a key and proactive member of the College Leadership Team and have responsibility for the management of the finance team.
You will act as a key adviser on financial issues, and will play a significant role in ensuring effective financial stewardship and seeking opportunities to improve systems and processes to enhance service provided by stakeholders. You will need to be proactive in managing finances to support the College to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Support the Director of Finance and SLT to achieve the College’s strategic aims and ambitions.
- To oversee and manage the finance department and team.
- To ensure the ongoing development of the finance team.
- To develop a customer focused finance service which meets the College’s business needs, enhancing services to all stakeholders, and developing KPIs against which to monitor activities and performance.
- To work closely with SLT and budget holders to provide a high-quality financial management, support and advice service to colleagues, ensuring that appropriate financial controls are in place and accurate financial information is available at all times.
- To support the financial performance monitoring process.
- To produce the draft monthly management accounts for subsequent review by the Director of Finance.
- To assist in the development of the annual budget, forecasts and financial plan.
- To prepare the draft statutory financial statements and working papers at the financial year end.
- To assist the Director of Finance in the management and coordination of external audit activities.
- To liaise with external organisations as appropriate, including external and internal auditors, funding bodies, banks, insurers.
- To manage the College’s tax, NI and pension liabilities.
- To maintain statutory records and prepare returns and submissions relating the College’s finances and transactions as required including HMRC, ESFA and pension agencies.
The person & qualifications
- Qualified as a full member of a main (CCAB/CIMA) accounting body e.g. ACCA, ICAEW, CIMA, CIPFA (essential)
- Evidence of ongoing professional development (essential)
- Experience of managing a finance department in the FE sector (desirable)
- Experience of the production of budgets and forecasts within an organisation with multiple and complex funding streams
- Experience of the preparation, production and presentation of statutory annual accounts / financial statements, and management of auditor relations
- Experience of the completion and submission of VAT returns and liaising with HMRC
- A degree or equivalent qualification (desirable)
- Understanding of Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) financial returns (desirable)
- Understanding of ESFA KPIs with regards to college finance (desirable)
- Knowledge of public sector funding systems for FE (alternatively a high-level awareness of these and the ability to rapidly assimilate and deploy this knowledge (desirable)
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The legal bit
Protocol promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with Protocol. An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Protocol assignments. All positions advertised by Protocol comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we might not be able to respond to every candidate with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.