Protocol are working with a leading FE College based in the West London area. It is a very well-established College graded as “Outstanding” by Ofsted. The College’s students are at the heart of what they do, and their priority is to prepare all their learners for the future. The excellent staff and facilities ensure that they provide a well-rounded learning experience to students to help them reach their full potential. Last year over 800 students from the A-Level and Vocational Courses went on to study at top universities.
Our client currently has an exciting opportunity to join them on a permanent basis as a Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering – Apprenticeships/Practical Skills. The post of the lecturer involves considerable subject-based and pedagogic knowledge and understanding, and it is therefore essential that the post holder has a motivation for keeping themselves up-to-date with developments in their professional area and also in the practices of teaching and learning. Lecturing is more than just teaching; it includes all aspects of the learning process, including preparation and planning, and the assessment and evaluation of students.
The main purpose of the job is to ensure the retention and achievement of students through the delivery of good practice in teaching and learning. To teach, develop and improve programmes of study in subjects and courses relevant to the post holder’s knowledge, qualifications and experience.
- To teach on a range of programmes in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on practical skills
- To teach on a range of apprenticeships frameworks and standards such as engineering technicians e.g. machinist, mechatronics, engineering fitter, maintenance and operations.
- Assess students’ progress regularly including the timely marking of work and giving feedback, both written and oral.
- Teach on a range of programmes in relevant subject areas, including practical mechanical engineering using bench fitting, lathes, milling machines, etc.
The person & qualifications
- Minimum of Level 3 qualification in Mechanical Engineering or related subject
- A recognised advanced level teaching qualification (e.g. DET, PGCE) or willingness and ability to work towards one
- Experience of teaching/training in the subject area
- Practical experience of working in a mechanical engineering workshop using bench work, lathes, milling machines, etc
- Ability to engage and inspire vocational learners aged 16-19
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The legal bit
Protocol promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with Protocol. An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Protocol assignments. All positions advertised by Protocol comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we might not be able to respond to every candidate with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.