Due to the changes in circumstances the pandemic has caused, many of us are now faced with significant concerns and challenges we had no way of foreseeing, no matter our background or walk of life. For those pursuing higher education within a University setting, the challenges have been relentless. Protocol are looking to speak to individuals with a background in mental health mentoring to meet the increased demand of support required within higher education institutions, in order to encourage learners to meet their full potential and continue to aspire for greatness, whatever that may mean to each student.
Recent analysis states that the number of students seeking mental health support while studying at university has increased by more than 50% in five years, with the pandemic causing those figures to rise further. The challenges faced have been exceptionally difficult to overcome which is why we want to provide various levels of supportive mentoring to give students that all important helping hand to adapt to the new normal they are currently faced with.
- Provide confidential, one to one support sessions
- Plan and deliver group sessions based on different areas of mental health
- To understand and determine the needs of an individual, being able to assess the need for further treatment where applicable and referring for further support
- To offer short-term counselling interventions to students whose difficulties can be managed by low intensity and self-help oriented work
- To be flexible and available to provide encouragement and support when needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to identify mental health support tools to provide the right level of help to students to encourage their continued learning
- Maintaining a confidential and professional working relationship
- Ensuring the student’s needs are made the main priority at all times
- Set up to deliver remote sessions
- Great organisational skills
The successful candidates will:
- Have a valid DBS or the means to complete one using our online service
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant specialism in line with mental health support
- Have reasonable and significant experience working with vulnerable people
Be part of one of the following professional bodies:
- Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP)
- British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
- Accreditation British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Individual or MBACP British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) – Under a member institution
- British Psychological Society Chartered Member (CPsychol)/IAPT register/ Graduate Member (MBPsS) AND also PG qualification in Psychology or Mental Health
- Counselling & Psychotherapy in Scotland (COSCA)
- Accredited Member Federation of Drugs & Alcohol Professionals (FDAP)
- General Medical Council (GMC) – Psychiatry Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (Arts Therapist/ Occupational Therapist/ Practitioner Psychologist/ Social worker in England)
- Irish Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (IACP)
- Accredited Member National Counsellor Accreditation Certificate (NCAC)
- National Counselling Society (Senior Accredited Member or above)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) – Mental Health Nurse/ Community Mental Health Nurse / Psychiatric Nurse
- Social worker body for Scotland SSSC/ Wales CCWales/ NI (NISCC)
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Full Clinical Individual Member UMHAN member
If you are currently working towards any of the above, please give details of this in your application
We are looking for caring individuals that will promote the Protocol standards and demonstrate professionalism and reliability. If you feel this would be a fitting possession for you please submit your CV and cover letter as your application. For informal enquiries in relation to this position please contact email@example.com for more information.
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The legal bit
Protocol promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with Protocol. An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Protocol assignments. All positions advertised by Protocol comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we might not be able to respond to every candidate with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.