Protocol are proud to be working alongside an excellent college based in Slough. They are currently seeking a full-time Health and Safety Officer for the next four months.
For over 300 years, they’ve been placing their learners at the heart of what they do – aiming to empower their students in a supportive environment with a huge array of resources available to both students and the staff there to support them.
By having multiple campuses it truly is the best of both worlds as not only do they have the professional approach of one singular college but they then also have the advantages of being part of a collective group.
- To advise in all health and safety matters and assist in the maintenance of accurate records.
- To ensure, as far as practicable, all College employees, students, contractors and visitors are aware of their specific and collective duties under the HSWA, together with its associated regulations and approved codes of practice.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of Health & Safety policies and procedures and codes of practice to ensure that all workplaces and learning activities are in accordance with current legislation and standards. To advise managers on the implementation and monitoring of safety procedures and policies.
- Responsibility for maintaining and delivering the College’s Risk Assessment programme in conjunction with other departments.
- To regularly inspect the workplace and to ensure that standards are being achieved, safe systems of work are being adhered to and to make recommendations for any improvements.
- To assist managers, as appropriate, in the investigation of accidents, incidents and near misses and recommend means of preventing a recurrence. To assist the Head of Health & Safety with reporting under RIDDOR.
- To be involved with and support the College Group Contingency planning and implementation.
- Arrange and organise H & S committees.
- To take responsibility for the timely reporting of all risks and hazards to managers and the Director of HR.
- To provide advice and guidance on health and safety issues within the framework of responsibilities, including supporting the Risk Assessment Process, Control of Substances Hazards to Health Assessment Process, Manual Handling Assessment Process.
- Co-ordinating and delivering safety training on issues of Health & Safety as appropriate to meet the needs of the College’s health and safety training procedures.
- Co-ordinating and delivering a health & safety inspection programme.
- Assist with the implementation of workplace monitoring throughout Windsor Forest Colleges Group.
- To undertake any other duties are may reasonably be required commensurate with the post.
The person & qualifications
- IOSH Membership (Chartered or working towards)
- NEBOSH (General Certificate) qualified
- GCSE A*-C or equivalent qualification in Mathematics
- GCSE A*-C or equivalent qualification in English.
- Experience of formulating, implementing and revising Health & Safety policies and procedures
- Experience and understanding of the main Health & Safety regulations and how they apply in a College environment
- Experience of successful liaison and provision of advice to managers/supervisors on Health & Safety
- Experience of report writing covering compliance, non-compliance and corrective actions
- Possession of excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, listening, oral and presentation)
- Ability to conduct risk assessments and produce associated documentation
- Ability to demonstrate a flexible and sensible approach to health and safety matters
- Ability to demonstrate working co-operatively with others to complete tasks and implement process improvements
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The legal bit
Protocol promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with Protocol. An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Protocol assignments. All positions advertised by Protocol comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we might not be able to respond to every candidate with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.