Protocol are delighted to invite a skilled and experienced Science technician to work in the labs and provide technical support across a range of science subjects in a college setting based in Merseyside.
We are seeking candidates that can bring knowledge and experience into the science department and work closely with curriculum leaders and course teams to advise of any curriculum needs and ensure the working environment within the science department is maintained at a high standard and assist lecturing staff in practical situations as and when required. The post-holder will also provide technical support across the range of Science disciplines, including Biology, Physics and Chemistry and more specialised areas including forensic science.
This role is offering full time hours permanent basis – term time only.
Roles and Responsibilities;
- Preparation of solutions and equipment for Science Practical’s.
- Provide laboratory support to teaching staff in the delivery of individual or group project/practical work.
- Maintaining the learning environment in accordance with health and safety requirements
- Monitoring student safety and the operation of good practice within the learning environment (including advising staff on relevant Health & safety issues & contributing to preparation of risk assessments).
- Ensure that the maintenance of all equipment in the laboratories is efficiently managed through a programme of preventative/planned maintenance.
- Manage science stores, including safe storage of chemicals, & ordering and stock control of consumables and capital items.
- Maintain stock control and keep accurate inventory of chemicals and equipment.
- Participate in promotional activities as appropriate.
- Ensure that consumable science equipment and materials are managed efficiently and ordered from appropriate suppliers when necessary.
- To undertake first aid duties as required.
- Contribute to the development of learning material as appropriate.
- Attending meetings as required and supporting the Science Curriculum Leader and Deputy/Head of Department
The person and qualifications;
- Hold a level 3 qualification in a relevant subject area (Science)
- Hold a level 2 qualification in both English and Maths
- Have previous laboratory experience, including COSHH assessments in a similar science/technician role
- Have good knowledge of Health & Safety legislation/procedures from a similar science/technician role
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The legal bit
Protocol promotes equal rights and is an employment business under The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003. Work is undertaken on a self-employed basis under contract with Protocol. An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required for all Protocol assignments. All positions advertised by Protocol comply with the Agency Workers Regulations 2010.
As a result of the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we might not be able to respond to every candidate with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.