Protocol are delighted to invite an experienced Caretaker to join over 500 staff at a large further education provider in Greater Manchester for a full-time, permanent position.
This role will see the successful candidate working for 37 hours per week on a rotation shift system. Additional attendance to the campus may be required on occasions, for which additional remuneration will be paid and attendance outside normal working hours will be required to respond to emergencies. Further Education is continually developing and the rate of change is unlikely to slow down. You must therefore be flexible to take on changing responsibilities.
The college have a vibrant mix of Management, Academic and Business Support staff, all of whom come from a variety of different backgrounds. This in itself is a reflection of their commitment towards equality, diversity and inclusivity. Naturally, if you like people, and you’re passionate about education, all the better. In return, you’ll find a College that treats you with respect, listens to your views, looks after you and encourages you to develop both personally and professionally. The College is a Disability Confident Employer.
This role is to start as soon as possible. There is no official end date to recruitment for this position, so if you would like to be considered, please do not hesitate and apply today to ensure you don’t miss out!
- To assist in promoting a safe, secure and pleasant working environment by undertaking key-holding, maintenance and porterage duties including liaison with staff, students, contractors and external visitors.
- To secure the premises and its contents, including the operation of fire, intruder and other alarm systems, and to be a keyholder.
- To receive contractors and ensure safeguarding and Health & Safety procedures are followed.
- Check and sign off work of contractors, which has been completed.
- To assist the Senior Facilities Co-ordinators in the monitoring, reporting, and, where appropriate, rectification of estates and health and safety issues.
- To set up areas for open evenings, exams, interviews, staff meetings, classroom delivery and training events.
- To act as a Banksman on deliveries, preventing injury to people or damage to vehicles and property.
- To act as the courier to deliver and distribute print, post, packages etc. to all College centres.
- Respond promptly to requests for work and prioritise work schedules and complete tasks using the job logging system database within defined timescales.
- Operate and carry out essential checks to all College Vehicles.
- Undertake site risk assessments and work in a safe and considerate manner, using safety equipment and signage with full regard to operational procedures, safety measures and identified risks.
- Maintain equipment to a safe and serviceable standard and identify and report defects. Upkeep and repair tasks throughout all college centres and prioritise work and complete differing tasks within a defined timescale.
- To act as Fire Marshall and maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations and good practice requirements (Training Provided)
- To be a First Aider (Training Provided)
- To carry out other duties within the scope of the role as required.
The person & qualifications
- Minimum of 1 year Estates/Facilities/Industrial experience is essential
- Experience of working on own initiative is essential
- Experience of working in an educational environment, possibly in a Estates/Facilities/site co-ordinator or similar role is desirable
- Experience of of working with young adults is desirable
- Excellent communication skills are essential.
- Knowledge of manual handling is essential.
- Ability to work at heights from ladders and platforms is essential
- Ability to handle chemicals with due regard to COSHH regulations is essential
- Ability to keep and maintain accurate records is essential
- Level 1 Literacy and Numeracy (or willingness to work towards) is essential
- Level 2 qualification in an appropriate trade or technical area (or willingness to work towards) is desirable
- Level 1 IT qualification (or willingness to work towards) is essential
- A Health & Safety qualification (or willingness to work towards) is desirable
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The Legal Bit
Protocol National ltd trading as Protocol are acting as an employment business for this position. If you are successful, Protocol is required to see evidence of your Right to Work in the UK; in addition to you applying for an enhanced DBS Certificate should you not already hold a suitable certificate registered on the DBS Update Service. The position is subject to agreement to Terms and Conditions and suitable application and reference process. As a result of the volume of applications we are currently receiving we regret that we may be unable to respond with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.