JOB TITLE: Permanent Junior Systems Engineer
SALARY: £25,614 per annum
LOCATION: Stamford & Peterborough College
To apply for this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV.
QRS are currently recruiting for a Junior Systems Engineer to work on a permanent basis across both Stamford and Peterborough College. Your working hours will be 8:30am to 5pm Mon to Thursday & 8:30-4:30pm Fridays.
The role will include contributing to the infrastructure strategy, overseeing and implementation of projects and support of all hardware infrastructure systems, software and peripherals. The primary purpose of this role is to provide a stable, secure systems infrastructure (be that hardware or software). The holder of this role work as part of a team to support, investigate and resolve all infrastructure related requests and projects.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
The Junior Systems Engineer will be supporting the Infrastructure team to deliver the strategic and operational direction for the network and systems infrastructure.
- You will support and assist in the development of the projects (hardware, software and/or solutions-based).
- Working to support departmental and industry standards, KPIs and SLAs.
- Contributing to the delivery of outstanding IT Service.
Together with the Infrastructure team and third-party service providers, you will provide a reliable, customer focused, cost effective and high performing service.
This includes ensuring that support tickets raised are dealt with in an efficient and customer-friendly manner and that appropriate and timely delivery of projects are maintained, ensuring the communication of progress to your line manager and other stake holders.
Your main duties and responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following areas:
- Providing project and systems support for users with varying levels of IT knowledge and competence, over the phone, via remote access and in person.
- Contribute to team discussions to help shape and further improve the service.
- Provide support of the college IT infrastructure, including the hypervisor environment, Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS, DHCP, Domain Trusts etc.
- Assist with the evaluation, implementation, configuration and testing of new servers, products and services.
- Assist with additional configuration, integration, and improvements to existing IT services.
- Assist with the deployment of OS and application updates to Windows clients, including pre- deployment research and testing.
- Assist with the monitoring of performance, events and logs to report on any significant events and maintain service stability.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd line support for IT Service Desk incident requests and perform initial troubleshooting for servers and their applications, as required.
- Assist with server backup monitoring, verification.
- Assist in the patching and updating of allocated Windows server systems, Adobe Update, Security Updates, Firmware updates etc.
- Assist with deploying new equipment, software and solutions (and repurposing of existing equipment) for Infrastructure Projects.
- Assist with the preparation, installation, configuration and rollout of new software, hardware and solutions.
- Maintaining a high degree of customer service for all support queries, including telephone calls, emails and IT requests logged via the IT Service Desk system.
- Support on infrastructure services, including troubleshooting software and hardware problems and the repair of non-warranty technology.
- Maintain the awareness of key technologies to ensure optimal use of resources.
- Assist other IT staff when directed by the Group IT Infrastructure Manager.
- Follow departmental processes and procedures to ensure compliance with change control and documentation.
- Oversee your day-to-day operation and administration of the Service Desk and act as a point of escalation for the IT Service Desk when requested by the Group IT Infrastructure Manager.
- Ensure standards are maintained across the Infrastructure team by use of best practice.
- To ensure Key Performance Indicators and Service Level agreements, project milestones and deadlines are adhered to.
- Ensure the team is mitigating, monitoring and managing IT related risks.
Any other duties that are reasonable and commensurate with the level of the post as required and following consultation with the postholder.
If this role is of interest please email your CV to email@example.com to apply!