Head of SEND & ALS
Protocol are working with a Skills & Training Provider who have over 60 Sports clubs across the UK. This role will oversee the SEND implementation and ALS. You will be the designated SENDCO and lead in the co-ordination, management, delivery and review of SEND provision and support.
The role is remote with some travel required.
- Line manage ALS Manager, ensuring staff recruitment, induction, performance reviews and HR policies and procedures are carried out effectively.
- Ensure a holistic way of working between ALS team and curriculum team to maximise quality of learner support and impact
- Take overall responsibility for the High Need and ALS budget allocation and consultations from external funding agencies and oversee ALS distribution of resources across all delivery areas.
- Maximise opportunities for element 2 and element 3 funding through developing strong and reliable relationships with all external funding agencies and local authorities
- Designated SENDCO and to oversee the implementation of relevant legislation and to provide tailored advice and guidance to business and curriculum areas
- To plan and deliver bespoke training with relation to SEND alongside ’training needs analysis
- Ensure the quality of education and support provided by the holistic LSA team is ‘good or better’
- Take the SEND and ALS lead for all Ofsted and/or other regulatory inspection activities.
- Single point of contact for Local Education Authorities with relation to SEND
- To ensure we are fulfilling its statutory duties in line with SEND Code of Practice.
- Lead the liaison and negotiation of specialist funding with Local Authorities for students aged 14 to 25 years old to include the management of the EHCP process
- Take overall responsibility for the quality for ALS data and ALS claims and review procedures and protocols where required
- Maintain extensive knowledge of changing funding regulations and particularly those relating to ALS funding
- Report and analyse statistical information about ALS added value and distribution in order to identify ALS patterns and trends to support strategic and curriculum planning
- Ensure assessments are carried in line with our policies and government guidelines to include learners who have disengaged with education and/or with learning difficulties and disabilities, behavioural difficulties, social needs, mental health, other medical conditions
- To manage Service Level Agreements (SLA) with specialist health and care services for SEND and ALS to ensure delivery and support is effective and robust
- In conjunction with the Group Director help to co-ordinate the effective recruitment, guidance and placing of students, including summer schools and work placements, to ensure course suitability for all prospective students
- Provide timely and accurate student and staff data and reports as and when requested
- To represent us regionally and nationally in partnership and development activities regarding ALS and SEND as and when requested
The person & qualifications
- Experience of working in a post 16 education environment
- Extensive experience of working with SEND/ALS and able to strategically lead with the implementation of legislation and to drive improvement
- Experience of working in conjunction with local authorities, external agencies and of working with parents and carers in relation to learners with additional support needs, safeguarding or Prevent issues
- Extensive experience of identifying and working with various types of learning barriers and establishing effective support plans
- Thorough knowledge of ALS funding methodology and audit requirements
- Knowledge and experience of managing specialist funding
- Knowledge and experience of managing Ofsted inspections and being a SEND/ALS lead
- Knowledge and extensive experience of line managing staff and the ability to motivate and mentor others
- Experience of writing evaluation reports such as SARs and Business Plans
- An extensive understanding of safeguarding issues and relevant OFSTED requirements and a strong commitment to creating a safe and learning environment
- Degree, HND or equivalent professional qualification
- Teaching qualification (where possible)
- Level 2 in English and Maths
- Management qualification (where possible)
- Evidence of recently undertaken professional development and subsequent practical application and impact
As a Disability Confident business we warmly encourage applications from people with disabilities. Protocol is committed to offering opportunities to people from diverse communities. If you have specific requirements or adjustments please let us know if there is anything we can do to support your application.
Protocol are the specialist full-service recruiter dedicated to education, training and skills. People are at the heart of everything we do. We place people first.
We’re more than a recruitment agency – we pride ourselves on our ongoing support and aftercare delivered by our expert team, and all our candidates benefit from free access to our exclusive online CPD portal, Learning Zone.
Whatever your career goals, we’ve got the right role for you. With a wide range of temporary and permanent positions available, from lecturing and training jobs to assessment and support staff roles, all with very competitive pay rates and benefits – your future is in good hands.
The Legal Bit
Protocol National ltd trading as Protocol are acting as an employment business for this position. If you are successful, Protocol is required to see evidence of your Right to Work in the UK; in addition to you applying for an enhanced DBS Certificate should you not already hold a suitable certificate registered on the DBS Update Service. The position is subject to agreement to Terms and Conditions and suitable application and reference process. As a result of the volume of applications we are currently receiving we regret that we may be unable to respond with individual feedback. If we have not contacted you within two weeks of your application being received then regretfully your application will not be taken forward on this occasion.